Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Another thought about 'where my ideas come from' and Gooseyness Award Nominee

I found a wonderful post on-line about writing I wanted to share with you:

How to steal like an artist and 9 other things nobody told me.

The blog is by Austin Kleon, who has recently published a book of poems called Newspaper Blackout. His poems are created just like it sounds by taking a newspaper article and blacking out the other words around. It reminds me of a treasure hunt, or how a sculptor will take a block of marble/wood/soup and then carves out the excess to discover the beautiful sculpture inside.

Back to Kleon's advise list. I'm especially fond of the first one: "Steal like an Artist".  It really is a common question, one I ask myself, "Where do you get your ideas?" The truth is, not necessary that I steal them, steal is perhaps too harsh a word, but I collect them from everywhere and everything: the books I read, games I play, my dreams, walking around downtown, shopping, surfing on-line, vacations to Greece, Scotland, London, Italy.... and so much more.

Of course, since we are retelling fairy tales, the biggest influence on Goosey is the fairy tales they're based on. I love to think we take that basic story premise and run with it to crazy heights.

In other news, I have a new nomination for Gooseyness Award!! Yay! It is the beautiful, wonderful short video below called "Rain Town". I absolutely love this video. You have to watch it, then you will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment