Tuesday, October 11, 2011

NaNoWriMo - It's coming. Are you ready?

NaNoWriMo again. The insanity starts in 20 days.

I'm definitely participating again. I was a winner last year, I wrote over 50,000 words. Months later I even managed to somehow finish the story I began November 2010. I make no promises for this year, but I do have a simply goal. I'm going to have fun! I'd also like to finish the story within the month of November.

You see today I decided to review the rules and remember just what Nano is all about? I found this: "It's important to note that this is not a "write 50k" challenge... it's a "write a novel" challenge." Oh, does that mean I didn't win last year? No way, I won. I claimed my win. But  it is good to try and finish the story. To finish what you start is an excellent goal for a writer. That's a real challenge. Who knows how many words I'm going to have to write to reach that goal. 80k? 100k? But writing is just one part of Nano.

To me Nano is more about having fun. Nano is the Sunday Write-Ins at my library where ten or so people sit in a room all you can hear is tip tap of fingers on laptops as we type our stories. Its the beforehand chatting. Last year I missed the end party, and this year I'm going to miss the pre-party. I'll be in San Diego for a World Fantasy. Woohoo! Its a pretty good excuse. But still, I'm bummed to be missing the pre-party on October 30th.

The Nano forums are also pretty fun. I mean there's a page for writer's in distress called "NaNoWriMo ate My Soul!". The Adoption Society is also hilarious, for abandoned plots, characters, titles and more.

So, you ask -What's my novel going to be about this year? My answer is - I have no idea yet. I haven't decided. There are three distinct possibilities, but I can't make up my mind.

Should I write my Montana children's story? - The Flathead Phantom -
Or would it be more fun to do a dark humorous love story. All I know about this one is the following: "He loved her, he brought her back to life and now he has to kill her." It doesn't sound funny, but trust me it's dark humor.
Or should I fall back something familiar - like writing one about Andy Carroll, Mage-In-Training?

What do you think Terrwyn? Are you going to do Nano? Have you decided on a story?

I know want to move forward with my writing. Perhaps I will do something completely different. After all I have 20 more days to decide.

Before Nano arrives there are several things I'd like to accomplish. I want to move forward a little with Iana's story. I'd like to make some more posts on the blog. I'm sorry I've been neglecting you blog. I'm sorry. I'll try harder now. I really will. I still have time. 20 days and counting. . . .

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment