Saturday, August 13, 2011

Vexation (Iana # 7)

Previously on Iana's Story. And before that.

Continuing from the journals of Iantheia, Princess of Winding

Never before, and hopefully never again, will I have to ride behind a carriage, clinging to the iron rails. A princess should ride inside a carriage. I can't remember how many times I nearly fell off. Olwen kept having to catch me and pull me back up.

Poor Joli, being so petite, rode up on top, packed in with the chests and bags, much like a pickle.

Had I realized this fate awaited me I'd have stayed in Catha. The journey home to Winding has been such a nightmare.

We left Castle Radiance so quickly, in a splendid carriage too. I recall velvet seats, and curtains made of silk drawn across tiny windows. At the time I didn't notice much else. I was out of sorts, sequestered in my thoughts, while Joli sat demurely to my side. She could sense my mood and left me alone. When we arrived at the edge of the city the carriage stopped. Olwen, the steward mother sent to fetch us, held open the door. Both Joli and I peered at him in confusion.

"This is as far as we go, your Highnesses. Please step out."

"What do you mean?" I thought with horror he meant for us to return to the castle.
Olwen explained, eyes held firm. "The carriage was only hired for this distance. We'll use other means to return to Winding."

And we soon found out just what he meant by 'other means'. How I miss riding inside that splendid carriage. Sometimes we travel on foot, sometimes horseback, sometimes by river barge, or in the back of a dog cart, or holding tightly to the back of a carriage.

If only we'd had time before to solicit help, perhaps borrow a nobleman's coach or find some other patron travelling in this same direction. But no, Mother insisted we return immediately. And who would travel to such a backwoods kingdom as Winding?Not unless they were forced. Why the Gray Road doesn't even pass by the castle of fair Harmony Wind, and the docks along the Trade River cannot receive anything larger than a river barge. Once we reach the border of the kingdom I despair of ever seeing anyone of fine and noble company again.

Joli appears almost gleeful at seeing our home again. She had fared much better on this journey than I have. I don't know how she keeps up her spirits. Sun rashes, bug bites and bee stings do not bother her at all.

How I panicked after we encountered a bee farmer transporting his hives, I was terrified and nothing Joli or Olwen said could reassure me that we won't have another dreadful encounter. I can't stand all this nature.

By the time we get home I won't dare show my face in court. I've turned a horrifying shade of rosy pink all over. My face is even worse, like red muslin, the skin on my nose peels, and freckles have scattered across my cheeks. Abominable! I cannot abide freckles! Wretched brown spots. And the wretched peasants bonnet Olwen found me does nothing to keep the sun from burning more of those evil brown spots on my face.

Joli has turned a shockingly dark tan, and often sits barefaced soaking up the sun. No one in Catha would look at us now. Wretched sun. I would banish you to the other side of the sky if I could.

I cannot bear to write anymore. It is too distressing. I will give this journal to Joli for safekeeping.

 
Dear Sister,
As promised I have kept your journal safe. It is the least I can do for you.

I decided to write here too. What I cannot say face to face I'll confide in here. I don't know when you'll find this. Perhaps you never will.

You see, sister, I've met someone.

to be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment