Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Jolianita - Beauty and Grace (Iana #8)

Previous Events in Iana's Journal

Jolianita's Story - discovered within the journals of Iantheia, Princess of Winding


It isn't what you think sister. I haven't forgotten myself, who I am, what I am. I know I am a Princess of Winding. I know my duties. But Iana . . . please try to understand. I know you won't want to listen, but please try. I know you will be so angry when you find out. That's why I've written this here to help you understand, because I can not speak the words. Here I will do my best to speak. Let me tell you about him.


Even though I know, sometimes I'm painfully aware that we can not be together, my heart still rejoices at the thought of seeing him again, after so many long months.


We first met last spring. Oh, has it been only a year. It feels like I have known him much longer, my whole life, or maybe I never lived before I met him.

Do you remember last spring Iana, when we stayed with Lord and Lady Ambress?


You must. All those somber days we spent mourning the widow, Dame Ambress, and all the Ambress children we were given charge of, to watch over and keep out of trouble. You were much better at watching the boys and must have played that stick game a hundred times, while I could only sit and watch. I wasn't much help to you, only when I made those lace dresses for the girls' dolls.


You never hesitate do you Iana? I envy that about you, even now.


One afternoon, overwhelmed by everything, I went out riding and soon lost myself in the Southwell Forest. I wasn't too worried, since the forest isn't especially dangerous. It was near enough to the Trade River I could hear the boatmen shouting and singing. There must have been docks nearby. The forest itself was so green and calming. But that was before my horse King look lame. I thought one of his shoes must have been hurting him, because he suddenly refused to go forward. Although I couldn't see any injury to him, he became as stubborn as a mule. He wouldn't even budge when I tried to led him on foot.

I was afraid I would be forced to spend the night in Southwell, waiting for someone to notice my absence from Ambress Manor. I'm sure you would have Iana, you noticed how late I returned. You worried about my flushed appearance that I was sick. I was merely angry and shaken by the strange encounter I had in that woods. I can still remember my arms shaking from how angry I felt, confused as well, and unable to find the words to express what I felt.

At first I mistook him for an Ambress - one of the many I'd seen the last few weeks, during the mourning period. He had their same tall height, long limberness, their dark hair and golden honey eyes. The resemblance was intentional, now I understand. It was easier for him to walk around the countryside that way, if the occasional farmer saw him and assumed he was an Ambress. He walked past where I sat on a fallen tree. I looked up, surprised to see someone else in the Southwell. When I called out for help, he didn't give me so much as a glance. My relief at our chance encounter fled. I know he heard me. How dare he ignore me!

I ran after him, leaving King behind, and still the man didn't turn even though I called out several times, "Wait. Please wait."

"What do you think you are doing?" he demanded as I grabbed his arm.

I stared at him. "W-what are you doing?" I threw the question back at him. He didn't answer, merely glared at me, as if I'd acted rudely to him. I floundered on. "You didn't respond when I -I clearly called out for you. Did you hear me? Didn't you see me sitting there?"

"I did not," he said and moved, as if to walk away. I caught his arm.

"Release me." He shook my hand off.

"You can't intend to just leave me here?"

"I do not see why I should not?" His speech, I noticed, was oddly formal. "You came here by yourself."

"But I - can't return to the manor. I mean I'm unable. King stubbornly refuses to move and I can't leave him out here."

"Leave who?"

"King."

"There's a King out here?" He looked around wildly.

"Of course not the King. My father is not here. He -"

"Your father is . . . a King?" he sounded shocked. "But that would make you-"

I thought he was mocking me. Everyone at Ambress Manor knew of our arrival. "Enough." I told him and demanded his help to return to the manor.

"Very well," he agreed and followed me back to where King waited. The gelding hadn't wandered off. He was still agitated though, and the approach of the strange man seemed to make him worse. He almost bolted, but as soon as the man touched him, King changed. He settled down, his spirit soothed.

"You ride this beast?" He turned to me.

I didn't reply, instead I stepped on the fallen tree, used it to climb into King's saddle again. He didn't shy at my weight at all.

"But," he looked at me puzzled. "If you are a King, why would you . . . "

"I'm not a King, I'm the daughter of a King," I reminded him.

He pulled back, as if he'd just realized who he'd spoken to so rudely. "Daughter. . .then you -"

"Princess Jolianita. And your name?" I asked, anger creeping into my voice.

He hesitated, so I knew he did not give me his real name. "Ja-Ja-ack," he stuttered.

"I will not forget you," I said looking down at him.

His head turned away. My words painful, perhaps I meant them to be. I didn't want him to forget me either. I pulled King around. He responded immediately to my touch, acting like a completely different horse, and we headed back to the manor.

Later, even thought I looked for the man, I didn't see him, and when I asked after a Jack Ambress I was told there was no such man anywhere in the family lineage. I had guessed as much.

That's how we met Iana. It was not what you'd call love at first sight.

to be continued. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment