Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A crisis . . . a desperate cry for help?

     "What you hope for
Is that at some point of the pointless journey
The King assassin Sleep will draw a bead
And blow your brains out"
   -- "Walking to Sleep" Richard Wilbur
How important is the background, all those little details that flesh out the character and the world they live in?
Its important, right? It is and it isn't.

Let me get straight to the point, before I wander off too much. The reason I'm almost in panic mode, I think there is a major problem with Ange being a single child.

I know the most important really is character. If you fall in love with the character then you'll follow them through 200 + pages, you worry about  them and hope for them. The world they live in doesn't matter as much, nor does the mystery they have to solve or the social, political setting they come from. In second place comes the story, it has to make sense, a somewhat linear movement from A to B, and have what could be called a beginning, middle and end. And in the end we want to see that "the good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means." (Thank you Oscar Wilde.)

The details help make the story and the characters real, vibrant, alive. The details have a smaller role to play. If someone lacks depth, or if inconsistencies drag the story down, then it makes everyone look bad. It's hard to read a book with errors. The background has to be there, in the background, working seamlessly. From the Writer's Retreat I took last October, the editor from New York, Anica Ricci (a beautiful woman, who was intimidating and awe inspiring) said authors should know all the inane background of a character and world, but that doesn't mean it should be in the story.

In the Goosey Ange is an only child, I did this for a reason. The source material doesn't mention any siblings. It only says "ONCE upon a time an old queen, whose husband had been dead for many years, had a beautiful daughter. When she grew up she was betrothed to a prince who lived a great way off." (Andrew Lang's version) I wanted there to be a small knit family, a mother and wife who still felt the loss of her husband, and who then must give up her only daughter. Desperate times. Desperate measures. I wanted Ange to feel alone, abandoned when she ends up as a goose girl. I like that Mirth has brothers, who cause so much trouble, and Ange doesn't.

I've decided to research medieval politics, specifically royal alliances, to try to understand them better. So far I haven't had much luck on-line. I did make one fascinating discover about Saint Hedwig, patron saint of Queens. Maybe you know about her, that she was the Polish King Jadwiga. (Hedwig is the German pronunciation.) She became King, not Queen, of Poland at the age of 11. (So young) She broke off her betrothal to an Austrian Prince and eventually married a Prince from the neighboring kingdom of Lithuania, after he converted to Christianity. Their marriage united the kingdoms and made Poland all the stronger. (Here's the wiki entry.)

I'm not exactly certain where to continue my research, should I real Machiavelli's The Prince? Do you think that would help?

The problem is, if Ange is an only child, wouldn't she be the heir to the kingdom?

There could be a Winding law that only men can inherit the throne. And the only reason Ange's mother is Queen is she married a Prince, who unfortunately died. And now is she a widow, with a young daughter, and must rule her kingdom on her own. So, who is currently the heir?

Uh oh. It's not Ange, because she must go to Geyona, that's what the story is about.
I'm afraid if I add a new character it will change the dynamics too much. But do I have any other choice? I don't want to have an older brother or sister. How about a distant cousin from the kingdom of Catha? A dull, overfed Prince whose only interests are trade and farming, someone eager to secure the kingdom's (and his own) future by marrying off his cousin Ange to form an alliance with a distant kingdom.

Of course, the simplest solution is to have an older brother. There done with. A boring older brother of little consequence, who only has to appear for three letters, maybe four. Someone easily swindled, because he is simple minded, not stupid, but not the sharpest tack in the toolbox. Someone who is not the most politically savvy, but solid and steady. Now what should I call him?

11 comments:

  1. This is my gut reaction:
    NOOOOO!!!! NOT ANOTHER STUPID BROTHER!!!! lol

    What I like about Ange's story is that although plot wise, both stories are somewhat similar, they are also very different. I think the addition of a stupid brother would just...I don't know....make the family more like Mirth's. I LIKE that Ange is only child and that she has this special relationship with her mom. I mean-- It's against the normal cliche of a kid being raised by a single mom. I like it. alot.

    I think that background is important but that this is ANGE's story not Winding's.


    I feel an addition of an older brother would take away from this: "I wanted there to be a small knit family, a mother and wife who still felt the loss of her husband, and who then must give up her only daughter. Desperate times. Desperate measures. I wanted Ange to feel alone, abandoned when she ends up as a goose girl"

    I think you are dead on with this! I mean, if you have a stupid older brother, then you have a problem with Ange's mother. I mean, she seems so sensible and loving. HOw in the world did she raise such a stupid son? AND WHY would she give the throne to him if he was stupid?
    In Medieval times, women seemed to have had more respect and power than in Renassiance times.

    And why invent a brother if it goes to the closet male?


    As a reader,I always accepted the fact that the kingdom probably was taken care of some way or another. It didn't really matter because I was more concerned with Ange's story than what happened to her kingdom.

    In sum, I'm really sick of the stupid brothers. And I really dig the fact that Ange's family is different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I'm reading our posts, I think it's funny that we both seem to be hating our stories and characters in this editing process but enjoying the other person's story.....

    hmmm......We are funny writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I'm not convinced either about Tanner either. (may or may not be his name) But I'm seriously considering it. And he's not stupid, he's stoic. The strong silent type who is very morally centered, but the type who is easily swindled. I'm almost growing fond of him.

    Who else? who else could it be? The closest male - closest. I'll think about this some more. Drive myself insane.

    What if Ange's mother is still the single mom, but with two kids. She'd still have the same close relationship with Ange. See Tanner's is much older, and Ange's the baby, the little sister. That would make her Mom older. That suits the mom.

    I'll think about it.

    You're right its not really important to the Ange's story, but I feel like the world isn't believeable if I don't work this out somehow. Research. Must find research. Yay. I'll visit the library.

    to be continued...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know even from before I enjoyed Mirth's story more. It just felt more colorful,dynamic. But then I didn't have to struggle with the story, I just got to enjoy it.

    It's fun to finally talk about the characters and everything. I'm loving this blog.

    You know who's blog is insanely helpful - Patricia Wrede's. She posts about writing. Very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! She's very practical. I love it when she talks about the process.

    Hmmm...well, I don't know. Does it have to be male? What if there's this tradition where the next blood sister inherits it or something? so that instead of being passed from daughter to daugher, it's passed from sister to sister...oh funny....

    or why can't Ange have it? The kingdom?

    Intially, I remember thinking the kingdom was still Ange's. That's why Genyoa was so interested in joining forces with Winding. That happened...in the Swan Princess:).

    So When Ange's mother dies, they command two kingdoms-- but they probably put a favorite uncle or aunt or whatnot in charge of one one year while they adminstrate. I mean, King James was King of both England and Scotland. And Britain ruled over America and several other empires....so...I think it's plausible...and also gives something for Ange to grow into and be responsible for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But here is another problem. If Ange's mother is a Single MOm...then how are Mirth and Ange related. Because Ange's mother married Charles' younger brother Rodger and that's how the cousin's are related.

    When the father's died...I have yet to figure out when or how. I'm thinking around the same time, but the visits between the two countries stop. Entirely. The mother's are too busy trying to hold kingdom's together.

    Or ....Is that not right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. NaNoWriMo---
    are you doing it? cuz...I am!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait, so Ange's mother gives away the entire Kingdom? Oh, OH. That's might work. That actually might.

    So the alliance and the bethrothal means that someday Winding and Geyona will be united politically.

    That might help explain later events. I like that.

    Can that happen? See - I have to research this more. I may not have to bring in an older brother (sorry Tanner, but you're not dead yet)

    ReplyDelete
  10. NaNoWriMo---

    We need a new post for this. I'm making one, so we can chat about this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! That's very organized of you! I'm glad you gave it a new post.

    ReplyDelete