Friday, October 1, 2010

The Book Jacket Quest begins . . . and the Gooseyness prize goes to . . .?

goos·y  
goos·y [goossee]
(comparative goos·i·er, superlative goos·i·est) or goos·ey [goossee] (comparative goos·i·er, superlative goos·i·est)
adj
1.  resembling goose: similar to a goose 
2.  having goose bumps: affected by goose bumps or the nervousness or fear that can cause them (informal) 
3.  silly: behaving in what is regarded as a silly or scatterbrained way (disapproving)
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I've always been fond of the name Goosey, especially because of the third definition. Or maybe I just like words that end in 'Y'. Lucky. Rosey. Cosy. Posey. Nosy... (I'm making this up as I go.)

Anyway, I thought it was high time to start summarizing this story. I don't mean giving away the ending. Not yet. But I've always had trouble summarizing my stories, and making the summary interesting (and not just a dull, fact explaining sentences, yawn. I do those all the time)


Here is an example. You know how books have a one or two sentence summary on the copyright page. I always try not to read them because it usual gives away a secret. Here is my attempt:
Summary: Two selifsh princesses  must learn the lessons of loyalty, love and friendship: a retelling of the fairy tales The Golden Goose and The Goose Girl.
I'm much more fond of Terwyn's explanation above: "Wherein the adventures ..." There is something spontaneous about it, exciting and eye-catching. Prefabricated is a fabulous word. I shall do my best to contribute now. Ahem:

. . .

drat. I've frozen up. Why am I so intimidated by summarizing and book jackets? Courage. Where has my courage gone? Drat. I shall try again.

. . .

nope. I've got nothing. But fear not. Don't lose hope. I won't give up. This is only the beginning.

7 comments:

  1. ha ha! I think that's a fabulous book jacket....:)

    Wouldn't it be so fun if the book jacket was written by Lackscroft and Roe but all the characters out of the novel were interrupting and trying to contribute to the jacket....and then it ended with " but don't take our word for it....read it yourself!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Queries should also be written by Lackscroft and Roe....

    To Whom it May Doubly Concern,

    Illustrious reader, we address you so dubiously on the behalf of our empty pockets and hungry stomachs.

    The past five years we have expended ourselves most expendiously. ( I don't think Expendiously is a word Roe.) ( What would you know Lackscroft-- afterall you got us into this mess.) Me! What did I do?) ( Whose idea was it to write 'The drowning mermaid'.) ( It was a bloody good idea!) ( It bloody well was not...now...let us get on with this letter!)

    ahem.... The past five years, our travels have introduced us to two women of noble and high and painful birth. Mirth and ANge, cousins of some extreme nature, embarked on jouney's involving Geese and other such magical adventures.

    Of course there is swashbuckling, faieres, talking livestock, and the occasional evil, immoral bad villianous character that of course must be killed off for the sake of proving Good wins everything.

    We have collected letters from these cousins and complied them in a sort of epic poem. ( IT IS NOT an EPIC poem Roe.) ( Quite right...) Ahem....in a sort of ....collection of letters with some poetry written in the margins.

    Without further ado. ( Ado? What kind of word is that Roe? Who uses ado?) ( quite right)

    Without futher Adid, we humbly present our collection for your industrious and very beautiful eyes. ( nice touch with the beautiful...)

    Sincerely yours in all fictional respects,

    Lackscroft and Roe

    ( why does Roe always have to be at the end....)
    ( it's alphebetical)
    ( Well...how about this)

    Roescroft.

    ( that's terrible...what did you do to my name?)
    ( Improved it old chap. Improved it.)
    ( It's bloody wrong)
    ( ooo...look at that...out of room...too bad...crofty....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. perhaps it should be empty stomachs and starving pockets....

    ReplyDelete
  4. and of course different fonts for when they talk to eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Illustrious Reader ...
    Man, those boys make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still laughing, second time I've read it too.

    ReplyDelete