Friday, September 24, 2010

How appropriate! And timely too.

I just noticed that Gail Carson Levine posted about retelling fairy tales -- about why she is drawn to these stories.

I could totally relate.

Here's the link: http://gailcarsonlevine.blogspot.com/2010/09/why-fairy-tales.html

Why do I like rewriting fairy tales? Its fun, of course. But it goes much deeper than that. I've always been drawn to fantasy, since seventh grade specifically, and of course I had my early exposure to the Disney fairy tales of Snow White, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. There is something compelling about the language of fairy tales: the simplicity and yet complexity. I'm also drawn to symbolism, and allegory; the power of storytelling comes not just from having complex characters, good dialogue, or clever word play, but from the meaning hidden evoked by the language.

How literary I'm getting . . . I haven't ever tried to put in words why I write fantasy, though I've thought about it plenty -- almost as much as why I write.

One of reasons I write, that I am a writer, is because I have these stories and I want to share them. Fairy tales are the perfect example of stories that have beeen shared for hundreds of years, from the Grimms Brothers, Disney and through modern retelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment