Monday, September 27, 2010

Where do the ideas come from?

"I think most people have more ideas in their heads than they think they do. Its just that those of us in the fantastic fields - either we don't listen to our own filters, or we have a much high ridiculousness threshold."
   Interview with China Mieville, NY Times July 23rd, 2010

I've finally posted the 3rd letter from Ange. Yay! Go Ange!

It's not the most exciting action packed letter, but it does some important set-up stuff for later. I realized I went into this story assuming whoever reads it would know the fairy tale. That said, I've found the fairy tales on-line:

It's fascinating to read the different versions. So, I've got two for you:

From Andrew Lang's The Blue BookThe Goose Girl and from Andrew Lang's The Red BookThe Golden Goose

Another source is available at SurLaLune Fairy Tales. Here's the main website: http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/. SurLaLune has an extensive site all about fairy tales. They have annotated versions of the stories, as well as all the hundreds of retellings available from children books, novels and live action movies and cartoons. I remember reading the Goose Girl on SurLaLune when I was first beginning to write Goosey, to help get some ideas about how to proceed.

Mostly I think my ideas come from the same part of my brain that forms dreams.

So, here's Letter #3 for your critques, comments, questions, etc.
Happy dreaming. I mean reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment