Friday, March 18, 2011

The Romantic side of the story

"She generally gave herself very good advice (though she very seldom followed it), and sometimes she scolded herself so severely as to bring tears into her eyes; and once she remembered trying to box her own ears for having cheated herself in a game of croquet she was playing against herself, for this curious child was very fond of pretending to be two people." --from "Down the Rabbit Hole" Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
"Remind me in the future never to get in another relationship. If this is what relationships are like, I will happily drift into old age as a spinster. It's just not worth it." -- Lulu Dark by Bennett Madison  
I discovered a wonderful column online written by the author of The Princess and the Hound, a fairy tale book which I rather enjoyed. I wasn't a retelling of any particular fairy tale, but it had the setting of one.

 How to write Romance (In Fantasy) by Mette Ivie Harrison.

You should read it first, and then come back and read the rest of this post. Because then I wanted to discuss the elements of romance mentioned in her column and look at to Goosey.

I remember when I was younger I called myself a hopeless romantic; I confess I read most books for the romance. I still do that sometimes, but now I prefer novels where the entire focus is not the romance. I haven't read a real romance book since I was fifteen, or sixteen, you know the ones from the romance section of the library or bookstore, what Mette Ivie Harrison calls category romance. I recently picked up a YA book called Matched by Allie Conde, thinking it was a dystopian fantasy and soon realized it was slyly disguised romance story that happened to be set in a futuristic society. Nothing happened in the book besides the girl falling in love with the guy she wasn't suppose to fall in love with. Really. (Hopefully the sequel will be better, more action, excitement please. I probably should go read the rest of the Hunger Games trilogy.)

So far in Goosey the romance element has just begun. In my half of the story there isn't much romance yet, even if Ange's has been betrothed to a man she has never met before, though there is Eiolan, her somewhat crush; while in Terrwyn's letter 4 we have had the first (or is it second encounter - a ha, I love this little mystery), and the hint of a possible romance between them.

Let me begin with Ange's story first. The main conflict of Ange's story is her betrothal. She is not given a choice about it, her mother arranged everything as a political alliance between the two kingdoms of Winding and Geyona.* I wonder if I've really expressed how Ange feels about it. She is obviously upset in the first letter, but by the second letter she has accepted it. I see room for revision here, truthfully she is merely resigned to the fact. What other choice does she have? She can't defy her mother. She can't get out of the betrothal. It is her duty as a Princess, but I do believe the betrothal changes her attitude toward her mother, it strains their relationship. In any case, I'm interested to know what Ange feels about love and marriage - did she dream about marrying for love? What were her dreams for the future?

There is some romance in Ange's story, she mentions a crush on one of the guards, a second lieutenant, who we later learn is Eiolan. Her crush is an innocent one, she admires him from afar, she doesn't have to worry about actually meeting him or speaking to him. Such a thing would be never allowed, a Princess and a guardsman. Nope never. Her crush is less about love than just feeling in love. Besides, once she actually meets Eiolan she finds out how horrible he is, crude and rough.

The real romance for Ange has yet to begin. In this way, I think Ange's story is a Bildungsromane - " a novel that details the maturation, and specif. the psychological development and moral education, of the principal character " ** She can't love someone, not until she grows up more.

Mirth's story is a bildungsromane too, I love the way you do it Terrwyn. From Mirth's letter 2, when she is so high strung and hysterical. She has a very poor opinion of men, since she tells Ange, "I pity you must marry a man though. I feel they are a witless." and, "Men! Insufferable!". Then her hardships and the encounter with he goblins change her, she softens, she finds pleasure in growing things, and she cares for her mother.

Their is plenty of romance in Mirth's story, we have the first (!!) encounter in letter 2, when the Stranger shows up at her home in Carentas and proceeds to kick her out of her home. Then, of course, the second encounter is in the woods, when the Stranger saves her from the evil goblins. Saves her! What is going on, isn't he evil? Or is he the same man? Ha. It's beautiful. I love this. It creates quite the obstacle between them. Can Mirth trust him? Who is the Stranger? Why does he help her?

Love and romance is especially important in Mirth's last letter, when her two brothers fill her stationary with horrible love poems. It's a completely different kind of romance; the kind you roll your eyes at, how annoying, what nonsense, what idiots, (and what fun!). The fact Mirth's brothers fall in love with the innkeeper's daughters is just brilliant. I really enjoyed letter 6 Terrwyn, it's by far my favorite.

(Love poems show up with Lackscroft and Roe too. They are ridiculously fond of them, as am I.)

As we post more of the letters I'll try to write more about romance and how it develops in Ange and Mirth's story; the conversations between the couples, and what is the unique need they have for each other? What mistakes do they make along the way, and what sacrifices do they make?

_______________________________________________________
* Did you know, I made up the name for Geyona, because it sounds like Verona, from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet? That's where it comes from.
**The quote is from http://www.yourdictionary.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment