Thursday, April 26, 2012

#32 of Iana's Story: Troublesome and Strange



I've put up Letter Ten, even though you can't really comment on it Terrwyn. I still wanted to put it up. I couldn't resist. We've revised 42% of the story. Almost halfway, perhaps I should get on with the letter Eleven, then we'd be at halfway. 

In the meantime, I had this already written and I'm finally posting it. After a troublesome argument with her sister, Iana's troubles continues.

#32  Troublesome and Strange
My room was too cold to consider sleeping in it, not unless I covered the window again. I wasn't going to tackle that task on my own. 

The wind howled through the glassless, gaping hole. The night sky was black as a cave, no moon or stars visible out there. I wrapped an extra wool shawl around my shoulders and hurried out into the hall, only to run straight into Olwen. He caught me with one arm. In his other he held a short candle. He wore an alarmed look on his face, and concern in his warm eyes. "I heard a loud crash and then shouting. Are you hurt, your highness?"

He must have been standing in the hall for sometime. How much shouting did he hear? It was dark enough now at least the shadows could hide my blushing. Was it Olwen? I wondered. Olwen and Joli? The thought was just too silly, I dismissed it immediately. "No, I'm fine. A little bruised maybe, but it's no more than I deserve," I told him.

"Is there anything I can do for you, Princess?" he asked. 



I glanced toward Joli's room. I imagined how cold it would be inside, and wondered whether or not she'd bundled up with her quilts or tried to cover her window with something. Then the words from our fight echoed back to me. How can you possibly understand me? 

I turned, "Oh, Olwen." I choked back my tears.
"How can I help you? Tell me what I can do." he said to me. "The men today, the ones we call debt collectors, I know they are not human. Each time their demands have been strange and troublesome."

"They had other demands?" I looked up at him. Father hadn't mentioned anything else, though he did say the men came before to demand payment for the fire rose.

Olwen nodded, "First they wanted all the chimes removed from the tower, to have all the bells and children silenced is what they said. Why do you think the castle is so empty and quiet? It might not have been so, if they didn't demand it. After that, when they came a second time, their demands were something of a riddle. They wanted the two most valued treasures of the kingdom brought before them. Your father tried everything he could think of, but the gold tapestries in the throne room burned, I never found the source of the fire, and when we tried to bring in Lord Ambress' prized stallions, they both died along the way. The orchards have withered throughout the kingdom, the cider presses here in the village are broken beyond repair, and much of last years cider has turned to vinegar. Gold and jewels we couldn't find enough to satisfy them. Not valuable, not precious enough for them."

"It's not as if Winding has many treasures to begin with."

"But you are one," he said in a serious voice.

I looked away. I didn't feel like such a treasure at the moment.

"Your mother was the one who realized what the riddle of their words meant, that the two treasures who needed to be presented was the Princesses. They wanted you and your sister to return. They knew somehow that you were not here and now we know why they demanded such a thing." 

"Because their third demand was for me or Joli. They couldn't have demanded such a thing if we had remained in Catha," I said understanding a little. I closed my eyes, wishing I could close them tight enough to block out everything. I was afraid, but I would not act that way. I'd wanted to know the secrets and now that I did, I felt so helpless. No wonder Father kept himself locked in his study all the time. No wonder my Aunties didn't speak of it, and my mother worked herself without resting. 

"Do you want to go back Princess?" Olwen asked me, his voice the only warmth in that cold, dark hallway. I opened my eyes again. His candle had burned almost to nothing, leaving a pool of white wax and barely a flicker of light. He drew another taper from his coat pocket and carefully lit it. Then held the light up for a better glimpse of my face. "If you wish to leave Winding and return to the Circle Kingdom I can arrange it. I will do everything in my power to get you there. It was my duty before to see that you returned home, but now that has been fulfilled. I doubt those creatures can follow you to Catha, why else would they demand your return? If you ask it I will help you escape."

"Run away?" My eyes darted over his face. "Are you asking me to run away?"

He nodded.

It was unlike Olwen to suggest something so, well shocking really. It felt almost like he was suggesting an elopement but that was silly. "I can't." I blurted out. "How could I? It's cowardly. Selfish. I'd be leaving everyone behind to suffer. Just to save myself? I can't do that. What if they demanded something else? It might be something even worse than this."

Then he asked, "So you will stay and fight?"

"Fight them? How?"

"I will help you."

to be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment