Thursday, November 11, 2010

Week Two: Plot? What Plot?

I think it's safe to say that National Novel Writing month has claimed our lives. But the idea of having a completed novel at the end of month, however rough and messy it is, is incredibly attractive.

I've also noticed how each pep talk sent out each week by a different author is incredibly inspiring and encouraging to read. I'm getting more good advice and confidence from this one month of writing than I ever did in any college course.

Week two is much harder to plough through than week one. Week one, I was simply following my every whim and throwing in whatever I thought was exciting and interesting. The writing was incredibly easy because I was enjoying the feeling of being a 'reader' along with my writing. I was basically writing the story as I 'read' a book-- not knowing where the story was taking me.

I added in magic wherever possible, I added in Penguins, I threw in snow and a snow queen. ( You can see how much, when reading this story, I sort of ache for snow! And when I had snow I hated it. It just goes to show you can't please everybody, least wise yourself.)

Now in week two, I have realized that I need stop adding and start pulling. I need to start making my story make sense or else I will rapidly begin to lose interest and so will my future readers, if any exist!

I have also realized, that the impending deadline does not allow for much think time. In sum, I am struggling against two needs-- the need to make the story a story and the need to finish the story in a short amount of time with very little time now at my disposal.

And so, I have become creative. I created a list of quesitons abotu the plot and priortized important elements that need to be explained. Then, instead of answering the quesitons for myself, I have the characters ask the questions and within the story, answer the question in a creative way.

For example, on thing I struggle with in my story is particularly how the magic happens in a way that makes sense. I mean, it's magic, so it doesn't have to make sense, per se, but within the rules of the world it has to have some sort of explaination. You can't just have a bunny pop out of nowhere and say that it's because it's magic. You either have to establish that it is a magic bunny and part of the magic is that it can pop in and out of various rooms. You also have to set limits on the magic. If it was unlimited magic bunny, well then you've created a nice deus ex machina in case you get into trouble. But Deus Ex Machina's sometimes come off as too easy. The bunny needs an achilles heel in the magic. For example, the bunny can pop in and out of any room in the world, but every time he uses the magic, he gets older. This makes the story more interesting and poses more questions for the author to answer.

4 comments:

  1. I like this bunny. It sounds so bouncy. I love him. Yay. A Snow Queen? Fabulous, she sounds evil too.

    And you are absolutely right about magic needing to make sense. If it doesn't it detracts from the story. Of course, don't worry about it too hard.

    My motto is - I'll fix it later.

    week 2 is so hard. I've slacked off and I barely wrote anything monday and since then I've managed around 2000/day. How many do I need by end of this week? I don't remember.

    I've finally introduced my 2nd main character, I'm at 25000 words and she finally shows up, what took so long? Anyway, now my faerie Gold and Hawke have gotten themselves trapped in a painting with the season of spring, it keeps raining. I sing to myself the winnie the pooh song, 'And the rain came down down down down down in ....'

    - oh, and Gold's love interest is in a deadly game of scrabble with his evil mom. oh oh, how will they escape? And where is Autumn? I have no idea. She is still missing.

    Just keep having fun. But mostly just keep writing. keep writing. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A deadly Scrabble game sounds fun. I'd rather play one right now than write about the Snow Queen's horrid snot nosed daughter. She is driving me nuts. I just want to write about the penguins. But I have to get through the snot nosed daughter to get to the penguins.

    I think Autumn should be invisible. Because invisible people are the best people.

    I realized something sad and depressing-- the blog did not post my whole post. I had something more about magic and the writing process and how I use this blog as a shameless procrastination tool. Oh well.

    I also realized I jumbled about into abotu-- what is an abotu?

    And I realized I have several typos...which makes my post semi incoherent and very...scattered...

    Oh look. a
    bunny.
    ah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean, gasp. You didn't do that on purpose! You shouldn't have admitted it. I thought it perfectly reflected how Nano has scrambled your brain. It certainly has my brain.

    I'm not completely sold on this idea Quantity over Quality that Nano promotes. I mean, when its all said and done I think I'd rather have a good sentence than a really badly written, run-on that can't seem to make two points without diverging thoughts and does that make sense?

    Of course, on the other hand, Nano does get the words onto the page and from there its easier (or should be easier) to work them over and make them into something good.

    The blog is a procrastination tool for me too. I worry about neglecting it. poor thing.

    I have gotten stuck in my story - as have my characters. They are stuck in a painting with the embodiment of Spring. Spring has been imprisoned there.

    Chapter ten has gone on for far too long, but I can't seem to write them out.

    Dear characters,

    Would you please get out of the painting so that my story can progress. Please. I'm begging, on my knees, begging. Are you even listening to me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this is really funny.

    My characters are just entering a painting....hmmm...maybe I should try my darnest to keep them out.

    ReplyDelete