Monday, November 1, 2010

In the Grand Tradition of . . . a Trailer Review

"Something brought you here. Fate. Destiny."
"A horse."
I've been wanting to review something for a while now, but I haven't read any books, manga, graphic novels or watched any movies that tie in with fairy tales or Goosey. I plan to remedy this next month, but in the meantime I've decided to review the trailer for the upcoming Disney movie Tangled, in theaters November 24th, I believe.
  

I have to say the trailer made me laugh aloud - twice. Flynn cracks me up. There's a definetely feeling of nostagia when I watch it, it makes me think of Princess Bride. So, I'm giving the trailer 4 of 5 stars.
I will admit it, I'm a Disney Fan. I'm intrigued. I want to know more. And that's really all I require from a trailer, now the movie that's a different story. (And another review.)

Tangle is the latest in the line of Disney movies that retell fairy tales.
Snow White 1937
Cinderella 1950
Sleeping Beauty 1959
Little Mermaid 1989
Beauty and the Beast 1991
Aladdin 1992
Princess and the Frog 2009

And this is a Princess movie, a generous mix of old with a new modern feel. It has its snappy dialogue, a bit Shriekified, just without the ogre. Let's see where's my checklist:

A Handsome, yet arrogant, yet loveable hero (can we say character development?)
A Princess, locked in the tower
Bumbling soldiers in presuit
Not one, but TWO animal side kicks: horse and a lizard

Check and check. We're just missing the easily identified evil villian or villianess and it seems we're expected to just know the story, Rapunzel's name is never even mentioned. She's an intriguing girl with luxurious hair, so long and deadly it's practically alive, but this girl has it under control and she's not afraid to use it. She's a Medusa with her snakes, only no one's going to be petrified by her. Or are they?

Not that a trailer review is anything like a movie review. It's mostly speculation, or prehaps anticipation, a little cynicism and even some nostalgia.

Perhaps you've already seen it.

3 comments:

  1. I love the smolder. Bill and I always enjoy that part..

    I'm kinda glad I haven't seen the other trailers because I like the idea of going to the movie to see how they spin the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spin the story. I love that. That's so true. We are spinning many stories now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes. And slowly going insane. Insane.

    by the way, did I mention that I have been DYING for a RUPUNZEL movie since LITTLE MERMAID?! AHHHH! and finally, when I'm all old and shrivelled...okay so not that old, they make one! Thank You Diseny!

    ReplyDelete