Thursday, March 1, 2012

A good offer? Iana's Story #24

Actually I'm glad the story is only about midway. There is so much more to tell; so much I haven't been able to squeeze in: Iana's mother and Olwen, other family background, descriptions of Winding, more of the Aunties. And since I missed last week, I'm making a second post. It's fun writing a prequel like this. Although it's still very much Iana's story. From last time, will Iana's resolve remain strong even after the debt collections have made their intentions know? Chapter four continues...
--

An Offer

I could hardly believe what I was hearing. The debt collectors intended to take either me or Joli as payment?

"You can't be serious."

"Actually I am, Princess," the Lion nodded, his grin spread so wide I thought his head might crack in half.

"Do you realize what you are asking?"

"Iantheia," Mother hissed, a warning for me to hold my tongue

"It is a great honor for you." The Lion looked at me as if I was being rude.

I knew Winding was a poor Kingdom, that we had little to offer, but still, to demand such a thing. He might as well have just asked outright for Father's crown. I may not understand all the intricate details of inheritance laws, thankfully Winding's are nothing like the Circle Kingdom's, but even I knew what he'd asked for meant the Kingdom would belong to them after my father had passed away. It was outrageous, no debt could require that kind of payment.

The Lion continued, "The Kings will have a sacrifice, make no mistake, either you or your sister. They will not be denied. You do not want to anger them, believe me." His voice softened a little. "You must accept this. You must face facts, for every gain there will be some kind of sacrifice. The prosperity of your land, for one of your daughters. Be thankful they did not ask for both."

"Both?" I sputtered.

Before I could further vent my outrage, Father raised his hand. "Enough. Calm yourself Iantheia. We understand our position. Will you at least give us time to consider which of them to give away?" He asked the Lion.

"Of course, we are here today only to make the demands known to you. We will return soon enough to take one of your daughters. Let us take our leave now."

"This way sirs," Olwen held the door open for them.

As the Lion retreated, the Wolf stepped forward and spoke for the first time, his voice a soft growl. "Also understand, there is nothing you can do against them. Nothing that has not been tried. The Kings' power is undeniable." His glance darted toward Joli. She stood as if paralyzed and I placed myself more firmly between them until he left.

The room suddenly felt much smaller than before. The only ones remaining were Joli, Mother, Father and me.

The Kings' power? I thought, confusion washing through me. Exactly who were these Kings? I'd heard the name mentioned several times by the Lion. Surely it was the name of their masters. However, I was not familiar with any Kings family, not in Winding or the kingdoms nearby Rothen and Farrowan, or even from Catha. For the first time I began to wonder if something else was going on, something I didn't understand. Another secret.

"Father," I turned to him. "I don't understand. They-"

Father raised his eyes. I saw such anguish in them. "It is my fault," he said.

to be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment