Monday, January 2, 2012

Iana # 14 Enduring

Previously from Princess Iantheia's journal, and then from Prince Rodier's travel journal and without further delay, (sorry I meant to post this last week, once a week is my goal), now continuing Iana's story.

This morning Aunt Rosemary mentioned she wanted apple blossoms. Aunt Adria had already asked me to air out the horse blankets, since the stablemaster has fallen ill. Aunt Hona and Aunt Ginger were scrubbing pots and sterilizing jars, a strenuous task to say the least. Aunt Clo had a mountain of threads to untangle. She would have me help her spin them, but knows I cannot go near her spinning wheel. If it wasn't one Aunt it was another.
I wish there wasn't so many of them.

It's no use complaining either. They just come up with more tasks for me, more errands, more chores. I run myself ragged. I suppose I could always refuse them, but then I'd never heard the end of it. These last few weeks they've been relentless. I'm starting to suspect they're doing it on purpose to distract me. From what I'm not exactly sure, but I know there is something. It is something secret that they won't speak of, and I'm determined to find it out what it is. What better way to pass my time?


I have noticed for weeks now that there are certain things no one will speak about: why father stays locked up in his study, or about the chimes, or why the village is so very empty, and the fields so dry and untended. Not even Olwen will talk about it. He told me it wasn't his place. Mother just tells me not to be rude and brutish, to act more like a Princess, as if I can in this place.

Joli didn't even notice, which is strange too. I pointed out to her and she shrugged, as if it didn't matter. She is being just as secretive and distracted. I can't tell what is bothering her. That is another mystery for me, I suppose. But at least I have these mysteries to keep me from falling into despair or madness.

I tried once to ask directly, of course that was a big mistake.

"Auntie Ro," I said, the other day. "Won't you tell me what is going on? What is it that makes everyone so uneasy. What's wrong?"

She pulled at her white shawl, giggled at me and slapped my arm. "Wrong? Whatever are you talking about? Are you feeling ill? You're not coming down with a cold are you? Do you need some of Rosemary's herbal drinks?"

I nearly choked. "No, no I'm quite fine. That's not necessary."

She clucked and dragged me off to find Aunt Rosemary in her greenhouse. I couldn't have escaped if I tried. Aunt Ro was awfully strong for such an old woman and I was forced to drink down a bitter tincture for my bluntness.

Since then I have tried more subtle means. I run all their errands, I suffer their teasing and pretend as they do that nothing is wrong. All the while I listen closely to their gossip and will ask certain questions hoping they'd slip up and reveal something. They haven't so far. Today when I pestered Aunt Hona and Aunt Ginger they sent outside to the fields. They insisted I take in some fresh air. As I was leaving Aunt Luna saw me and insisted she would come along. She is the youngest of my godmothers, not that she isn't old too, but she is still strong enough for a long walk. Her storytelling has always amused me, and I was glad to have her company. I hadn't tried speaking to her yet.

"Aunt Luna, do you miss the chimes?" I asked her, hoping she wouldn't change the subject, as everyone else does whenever I talk about the chimes.

"Me? Miss them? Whatever for? Why would you think that? The ringing and loud clanging. Such noise every morning, and louder than sparrows when they'd eat ripe berries in the spring. Only to ring again at midday and evening prayers. How was anyone supposed to get a wink of sleep? I ask you. It kept me up for hours that echoing, it did." She exaggerated. Always has.

"They weren't that loud."

"To be sure." Aunt Luna insisted as we walked. "Them chimes could be heard as far away as the Trade River is long. From anywhere along the Gray Road, from the far south where it begins in the city of Benn, all the way up north to the end of the road at the tip of Harbor City in Geyona."

"Well, I never heard them in the Circle Kingdom," I told her.

"Then you weren't listening. I suppose you were too distracted by all them circles and spheres. It's no wonder. It is a circle kingdom. All their buildings are round there, even the windows and doors. All the way up to the pointy roof tops. It's enough to make anyone dizzy." She huffed and puffed as we climbed a hill. We weren't far from the apple orchards, I remembered Aunt Rosemary and her apple blossoms, though even from this distance I could see none of the tree were blooming yet.

"Still, I miss them," I said, keeping up our conversation. It was the longest one I'd had about the chimes since I found the tower empty. No one else spoke about the chimes at all. It was one of the many taboos. Not that talking to Aunt Luna was proving very helpful.

"You missed what?"

"The chimes."

"Oh them, can't be helped you know. They didn't like the sound."

"Who didn't?" I spun around to face her. Was she talking about the debt collectors?

Aunt Luna didn't answer. Instead she said, "Hold up there Iana dear, let me catch my breath." She found a rock to sit on and rest. Maybe she wasn't as fit as I supposed. Looking at her I realized even she was getting older, her hair much grayer than the last time I looked. Her face with deeper wrinkles, especially about her eyes and mouth. She wore her same simple skirt with embroidered parsley along the bottom and such heavy brown boots. No wonder she was tired. She patted a rock nearby. "Sit yourself down here Iana. So we can both admire the view."

We did. From the hill, looking back we could see all the castle grounds, from the gardens, to the stables, the quiet village on the edge of the castle, and across the dry empty fields. It was such a small place compared to the grandeur of the Circle Kingdom. The Chime Tower was the tallest part of the Castle of Harmony Wind, easily seen from miles around. The chimes had echoed, but not as far as Aunt Luna claimed. Looking at the castle it was like nothing had changed. It had though, something was different that I couldn't quite put my hands on. Was it a curse? But surely they would warn us if there was something as dire as that.

"A good view of the kingdom, isn't it?" Aunt Luna spoke up. "And it hasn't fallen yet. You shouldn't worry about it, Iana. It will all sort itself out in the end, you'll see." She gave me a soft smile.

"But Aunt Luna. I don't understand, I just-"

She shook her head and I got nothing more from her on the subject. I never get any answers from them, only more and more questions.

to be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment