Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gooseynews: I find silly characters everywhere!

I discovered some new nominees for the Gooseyness Awards.
First, may I present to you:




Nodame









Her full name is Megumi Noda, age 20. She is the silliest, most lovable and adorable, highly enthusiastic, funny goof-ball I've meet in a long time.

You can find Nodame torturing her charming, talented neighbor Chiaki in the anime, and manga, called Nodame Cantabile. I'd recommend the anime over the manga in this case, because the story is about music. It's wonderful to hear the music, as opposed to imagining the sound. The first season is streaming free at Crackle.com. Here's the link to the first episode: Lesson 1

I highly, highly recommend it, if only so you can meet Nodame. I'm utterly charmed by her and her antics. I had to share her with you.
Nodame and Chiaki
Well then, since I'm on the subject of anime characters. I have a second nominee: a group of characters this time, the entire cast from the anime Jellyfish Princess. I believe Hulu has this one.
http://www.hulu.com/princess-jellyfish

Jellyfish Princess, or Kuragehime in Japanese, is the best. I had soooo much fun with this. It made me giddy happy to watch, especially the first few episodes. I laughed out loud so hard sometimes. Our main character is Tsukimi, whose obsession with jellyfish is borderline crazy. (Lovable crazy) She lives in a house with other eccentrics, but the story really focuses on her entanglements with an affluent family, especially the younger son, Kuranosuke who enjoys cross-dressing. It's played up for laughs, especially when Tsukimi and Kuranosuke become friends. He can only visit her house if he's dressed as a girl, since boys are not allowed there!

The cast, otherwise known as the Sisterhood!
 I finished Martin Miller's book Good Fairies of New York. I completely agree with your nomination Terrwyn, the fairies Heather and Morag completely qualify. They are amusing. Though for some reason I didn't realize Miller's was an adult book, and even after you warned me about Miller's tendency to be crude. (So unnecessary and distracting.) I did not find those parts amusing, only Heather and Morag. It wasn't until the part about Kerry's colostomy bag and her having Crohn's Disease that I figured out, oh, this is an adult book about fairies. It's a shame really how bitter his book is, and the underlying tone was so depressing.

I have to say, I'm much more a fan of children's or young adult books. Sure, some YA books have too much angst and melodrama, and they tend to focus on the same cliched characters, the popular girls, the bully (or bullies), the goth, etc.
But they are also so fresh, and the characters are rarely so beaten down and bitter.

I read a book about fairies in New York that is for children, Delia Sherman's Changeling, and there's also a sequel called The Magic Mirror of the Mermaid Queen. My third nomination has to be Neef, the main character from Sherman's books. She is silly, but she is also clever and determined and willing to take risks. She lives in Central Park, in an alternate/parallel New York. Her fairy godmother is a white rat, and her fairy godfather is a Pooka. I love all the different faires that show up in Sherman's book.

Here is her website: Delia Sherman

One thing I've always really enjoyed about Goosey is how silly we get to be, and how much fun it is to have silly characters who do silly things. I suppose I'm mostly referring to Lackscroft and Roe, who haven't really appeared yet. (Soon, I promise.) They just had their first small cameo on the envelope of Letter 5. I love them. I love their energy and their utter commitment to writing the best poetry ever written, even if no one likes them. (Though I actually do. I find it fun, and addictive.)

By the way I added the envelope to Letter 5, you might want to check it out, and I did a few revisions to the letter as well. Though I'm puzzled how to fix the plot issues in it.

I got a bit carried away with my nominations, I really only intended to present Nodame, but once you start looking for silly characters and stories you can find them everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Bad news, Crackle.com no longer has the series streaming. I wish this would come out on DVD. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

    ReplyDelete